A tire blowout is a scary and stressful circumstance, especially if it happens in the middle of heavy traffic. A blowout can be prompted by something as little as a nail in the road or even low tire pressure. The five most common causes of tire blowouts are under-inflation, overload, uneven tread wear, damage and defects.
You'll know when you have a tire blowout if you hear a loud popping noise or sudden instability with your vehicle. You may also smell burnt rubber. If any of these symptoms happen to you, do NOT panic. Here are some tips on what to do if you are caught in this situation:
- Don't slam on your brakes. Instead, keep the handling of your vehicle and pull over safely to the side of the road ASAP.
- Do your best to get away from traffic. The last thing you want to happen is to add a collision on top of your blowout.
- Turn on your hazard lights.
- Please stay in your car unless it is entirely safe to do so.
- Call for roadside assistance. You can also request a tow from a tow truck company to haul your vehicle to your trusted mechanic (if you are still local) to fix you up.
It is essential to know that tire blowouts are avoidable. You can do the following to prevent this horrific experience from happening to you:
- Always check your tire pressure and ensure that your tires are up to vehicle standards. Low tire pressure is the primary cause of tire blowouts and can be bypassed with regular maintenance.
- Inspect your tread wear often using the easiest trick ever: the penny test. Place the coin into the ridges of your tire; if you can still detect the top of Lincoln's head, it's time to swap out your tire.
- Try to keep the load of your vehicle light. Avoid keeping a bunch of junk in your car that you don't need. You should not be lugging around heavy items on an everyday basis.
If you ever encounter a tire blowout, please be sure to retain the steps above to handle your vehicle safely. At Kwik Kar Auto Repair, we have highly qualified technicians that can repair and replace your tires for you. Give us a call or visit today!